Saturday 13 September 2014

Bric-a-Brac Galore!

Our 2014-2015 academic year is gearing up and new students are arriving.  There's much to do and the next few weeks will be extremely busy.

Two years ago our Greenwich Chaplaincy team at Medway started selling bric-a-brac ... good quality, second-hand items that have been donated, primarily, but not exclusively by local church members.  Many of our students, especially internationals, arrive at university with very little in the way of bedding or kitchen items or warm clothing.

Over the past two years this service has totally snow-balled and we're quickly running out of storage space.  My right-hand-man, Frank, and I are constantly overwhelmed by people's generosity!!  
This year we are doing several hours of sales every day of the registration/orientation week and, yesterday, a number of students helped me move and arrange the whole room in preparation.  Here are a few pics ...

For those of you checking this blog for the first time and maybe wanting to know when the sales are taking place, here are the details:
      Where:  Blake building (Medway campus), Room 052
      When:   Monday, Sept 15th   12 noon - 4pm
                       Tuesday, Sept 16th   1 - 4pm
                       Wednesday, Sept 17th   12 noon - 3pm
                       Thursday, Sept 18th 2 - 4pm
                       Friday, Sept 19th    1 - 3pm

My faithful helpers - Mohamed, Joy, Chiao & Ilya - taking a well earned break; at the same time doing a test run of a new game I'd bought for the World Cafe.

Christmas came early too, I received my chaplaincy hoodie ... an initiative of our new Catholic Chaplain (Catherine).  I think I was trying to look cool :-(

No comments:

Post a Comment