Friday 2 November 2018

Fears & Phobias

Can you match the following phobias with their correct meaning??
1. Coulrophobia is the fear of …
2. Xanthophobia is the fear of …
3. Turophobia is the fear of …
4. Metrophobia is the fear of …
5. Pogonophobia is the fear of …
6. Trypophobia is the fear of …
7. Triskaidekaphobia is the fear of …
8. Selenophobia is the fear of …
9. Genuphobia is the fear of …
10.   Anuptaphobia is the fear of …
11.   Sesquipedalophobia is the fear of …
12.   Porphyrophobia is the fear of …

 


We then did an 'Agont Aunt' exercise in which each of the
eight groups were given a fear and they had to write a letter
asking for help. Letters were then passed to another group to
be answered. This one was my favourite ...

To whom it may concern.
Lately I realised that I have a fear of foreign people. 
I pass by many foreigners in my city and I feel 
very scared. Today I did not leave the house 
because I found I have foreign neighbours and 
I'm afraid to see them. This fear affects my life. 
I cannot take public transport and go to work. 
Please, I would like you to help me.
Kind regards,
A British Person

Dear British Person,
First of all, I would like to ask when was
the first time you experienced this fear?
Also, have you considered that the people
who live next door or the passengers on
the train are not actually foreigners.
Still, I an unsure what causes this fear.
I would suggest that you remember we
are all human, we are the same and
equal and have equal rights. Try to face
your fear by joining an international
society or have a cup of tea with your
neighbours and get to now them better.
It will help you a lot.
Best wishes,
your 'foreign' Agony Aunt

Thanks everyone for humouring me and joining in the
activities of the evening.

Here are the answers to the quiz above ...

ANSWERS
1. Coulrophobia is the fear of clowns
2. Xanthophobia is the fear of the colour yellow
3. Turophobia is the fear of cheese
4. Metrophobia is the fear of poetry
5. Pogonophobia is the fear of beards
6. Trypophobia is the fear of holes
7. Triskaidekaphobia is the fear of the number 13
8. Selenophobia is the fear of the moon
9. Genuphobia is the fear of knees
10.  Anuptaphobia is the fear of being single
11.   Sesquipedalophobia is the fear of long words
12.   Porphyrophobia is the fear of the colour purple

No comments:

Post a Comment