Tuesday 26 January 2021

Do you know your Chaplain?

Have you met the Medway Campus Chaplain?

Want to know more about who she is?






How long have you been a Chaplain?
I have been a Chaplain at the Medway campus for ten years now. Originally as a volunteer Chaplain with the University of Greenwich but since mid-2017 as Medway Campus Chaplain, working across all three universities here.

Why did you decide to take up Chaplaincy?
I think Chaplaincy chose me, rather than it being something I pursued.  I am a people-person and enjoy hearing other people's stories. If I can provide some word of encouragement or prayer for any students or staff who need it, then my day has become complete and worthwhile.

What exactly does a Chaplain do?
Chaplaincy exists as part of the support structure for all students and staff and as Medway Chaplain I work across all three universities here. For more information, check out our most recent survey results: 
https://medwaystudents.blogspot.com/p/what-on-earth-does-chaplain-do.html 

What did you study before becoming a Chaplain?
LIFE!!!  I never followed the route of formal education but all of my personal and working experience, both here in the UK and around the globe, has brought me to this moment in time.

What is a recent book you have read?
I recently read a novel called 'Conclave' about the choosing of a new Pope. It was one of those rare books that as soon as I'd finished it I just wanted to start reading it all over again - interesting twist at the end!  One quote from the book said this, "Our faith is a living thing precisely because it walks hand in hand with doubt. If there was only certainty, and if there was no doubt, there would be no mystery, and therefore no need for faith."

What music are you loving at the moment?
Hmmmm ...   difficult one, so much to choose from. But here's something that has reduced me to tears more than once recently:  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BA7pdABvpnc

What are your hobbies?
Reading, movies, eating  ...  I would say hospitality and spending time with friends, but so much of that has been stripped away this past year ðŸ˜¢

What is your favourite film?
Oh, another tough one.  Really not sure I can choose.  I like a bit of action, for example 'Shawshank Redemption'. Or something with an inspirational message, such as 'Freedom Writers'. My favourite animation would be 'The BFG'.  But overall favourite, I simply can't choose.

What is your favourite quote?
Probably more a piece of advice rather than a quote. My mother always told me "Take the path of least regret". That has stood me in good stead for many years ðŸ˜Š

Who would you most like to meet and what would you like to ask them?
Wow, who thought up these questions?!  So many people to choose from.  I guess it would have to be Mother Teresa, possibly influenced by the fact that I spent a short time volunteering in Khalighat, Kolkata which was the first home established by the Order of Missionaries of Charity, a home for the destitute and dying. It was a humbling experience.  Not sure of the exact wording of my question but it would be around 'living a life of sacrifice'.

No comments:

Post a Comment