Monday 1 November 2021

Chaplaincy News - November 2021

Getting to know your Medway Campus Chaplain …

How long have you been a Chaplain?     I have been a Chaplain at the Medway campus since 2011. Originally as a volunteer Chaplain with the University of Greenwich; then since May 2017 as Medway Campus Chaplain, working across all three universities here.

Why did you decide to take up Chaplaincy?     I think Chaplaincy chose me, rather than it being something I pursued. I am a people-person and enjoy hearing other people's stories. If I can provide some word of encouragement or prayer for any students or staff who need it, then my day has become complete and worthwhile.

What exactly does a Chaplain do?     Chaplaincy exists as part of the support structure for all students and staff; my door is open to everyone, of any faith or none. For more information, check out our survey results: 


What did you study before becoming a Chaplain?     LIFE!!!  I never followed the route of formal education but all of my personal and working experience, both here in the UK and around the globe, has brought me to this moment in time.

What is the best book you’ve read recently?    A novel called 'Conclave' by Robert Harris, about the choosing of a new Pope.  Might not sound like a thrilling topic, but it was one of  those rare books that as soon as I'd finished it, I just wanted to start reading it all over again - interesting twist at the end!  One      quote from the book said this, "Our faith is a living thing precisely because it walks hand in hand with doubt. If there was only certainty, and if there was no doubt, there would be no mystery, and therefore no need for faith."

What music do you love?      Hmmmm ... difficult one, so much to choose from. But here's something that has reduced me to tears more than once:  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BA7pdABvpnc

What are your hobbies?    Reading, movies, eating ... I also love hospitality and spending time with friends, much of which was, sadly, stripped away during Covid.

What is your favourite film?    Oh, another tough. Really not sure I can choose. I like a bit of action, for example 'Shawshank Redemption'. Or something with an inspirational message, such as 'Freedom Writers'. My favourite animation would be 'The BFG'. But overall favourite, I simply can't choose.

What is your favourite quote?    Probably more piece of advice rather than a quote. My mother always told me "Take the path of least regret". That has stood me in good stead for many years.

Who would you most like to meet and what would you like to ask them?  Wow, who chose these questions?! So many inspirational people to choose from. I guess it would have to be Mother Teresa, possibly influenced by the fact that I spent a short time volunteering in Khalighat, Kolkata which was the first home established by the Order of Missionaries of Charity, a home for the destitute and dying. It was a humbling experience. Not sure of the exact wording of my                 question but it would be around 'living a life of sacrifice'.

Take Ten with Lynne

Jars of Clay

View video:

https://youtu.be/_TfH1mP5o9A

In Biblical times clay jars were very commonplace, made of the most basic of materials. They were fragile and easily broken. In a sense, the jar itself was dispensable, but what it contained - be that oil or water or flour - was of great value. So too with us ... beauty and value lie within.


This month, on November 4th, our Hindu students will be celebrating Diwali.  Diwali is a festival of lights and is one of the major Hindu celebrations.  Lamps are lit, and homes are decorated with lights, sweets and gifts are exchanged.

ROCK PAINTING

for REMEMBERING

Throughout November  we will continue our rock painting sessions, in memory of those loved and lost during the past 20 months. These rocks will be displayed on campus   as a memorial to this  tough season.

If you are unable to join us but would like to submit a name, we will be honoured to paint a rock for you.

For information regarding days, times, and locations, please see Medway Campus Chaplaincy Facebook page, or the Student Union ‘Give it a Go’ programme, or email Lynne Martin at:  medwaycampuschaplain@gre.ac.uk



WHAT’S ON DIARY DATES

Nov 4th      TABLEtalk: Save our Planet!  (Zoom)

Nov 6th     Fireworks Night (to be confirmed)

Nov 8th     Poppy Making (in partnership with ‘Give it a Go)

Nov 11th   Remembrance Day Service   10:40am outside Drill Hall Library

Nov 11th   TABLEtalk: People of Influence  (Zoom)

Nov 18th  TABLEtalk: Big Brother is Watching  (Zoom)

Nov 20th  Canterbury Trip

Nov 25th  TABLEtalk: Social Night (face-to-face)

Email Medway Campus Chaplain for further information or to sign up for any of these events.

No comments:

Post a Comment