Sunday 21 June 2020

June 21st - too many celebrations

Did you know that June 21st each year is World Music Day and National Selfie Day  ...  and it is also Father's Day.  Hmmmmm  ...  too much choice!!

So, I turned to students and asked for their help in creating this particular post.  Here are the responses I received:

"I used to work as a secretary and one of my main tasks was to jot down minutes of executive meetings. By the end of the day after I had to listen to conversations and discussions for like six hour straight, I felt I could no longer listen to any more verbal speaking and the only thing I wanted to hear was music. It is fascinating how verbal expression when beautifully selected and integrated with rhythm and instrument sounds can be moving and uplifting, contrary to the humdrum of verbal exchange! Happy World Music Day!
Your Song by Elton John
Pattamanan  (Thailand)

Cerys from Ireland writes. "I'm always grateful to my Dad, I know I don't say it as often as I should but I love him dearly and I always will. There are so many things I realise now looking back, that he did for me and my brothers that we never gave him credit or thanks for. Though I feel like there is nothing I can do for him that could even come close to all that he has done for me, I hope he knows that I am forever grateful and thankful that he is my dad and I wish him a very happy Father's Day :)"  
Cerys' piece of music is by a Korean groups called BTS (I know there are some other fans out there).  She says, "The group themselves are genuine, lovely people and spread positive and uplifting messages through their music, particularly in this song when you read the translated lyrics. The melody and rhythm of this song I also adore, I'll never forget the first time I heard it and no matter how many times I listen to it, i love it just as much as I did the first time around."  Have a listen ... Mikrokosmos by BTS

Some of you will recognise this face  ...  it's the loud and lovely Humphrey from Zambia 😀Humphrey's favourite piece of music is 'Three Little Birds' by Bob Marley.  Humphrey has memories of his late father dancing around the house, singing at the top of his voice.
The Legend that was Bob Marley

"I was 5 years old when I sang “You are my sunshine” for my dad. I didn’t know what I was saying then but as I grew and watched my dad love me day in and day out- I realise he is truly my sunshine in every sense of the way.
I am proud to be his daughter. Thank you for being the love and guidance I always needed.  Happy Father’s Day!"  Sakshi (Mauritius)
You are my Sunshine

Amira, from Egypt used to study with a music background of Omar Khairat, one of the greatest composers in Egypt. This piece of music always brings good memories and helps to put her in a good mood.   Omar Khairat


On a completely different end of the music spectrum is Jeff's choice by the Scottish band Alestorm  ...  be warned, you need to be in to heavy metal for this one.    Alestorm






"Dad, it’s my second Father’s Day far away from you. I want to say thank you for making me the woman that I’m today, for helping me to achieve my dreams and for giving me the best of you. My sister and I have the privilege to have you in our lives."  Lina (Colombia)


Here's a selfie Ahmed (from Egypt) took of himself at the Medway Campus (just incase some of you have forgotten what it looks like).  He used to listen to this piece of music every morning on his journey from Greenwich to Medway.        Cairo Steps

"Perfection is not a valid term in the world of humanity. Therefore, I do not have idols in my life as I do not see us as humans being perfect. However, I do strongly appreciate the deep influence that someone can make in our lives. 
My father’s influence in his turn took a huge role in shaping who I am today. The relationship that connected us is not only a genetic and biological relation it is further deeper and stronger. I have so many beautiful images of my father back in my mind. there is always the image of his dedication and integrity in his attitudes as a father, husband to my mother and leader at his work. My dad dedicated his life in working to educate his siblings according to my grandpa's will and he was happily committed to it. He is a determined, affectionate, caring person and a music lover. Another image of his endless support can be summarised of him always pushing us to limits we did not know that we could ever reach. He is a kind of person who teaches us good principles and values from his actions. All the appreciation goes to him as he taught us so many lessons of life.  I wouldn’t say my father is my idol, I would rather say his great impact is immortal and will live forever in me."
Afaf from Jordan

Sonali sent this lovely photo of her and her Dad
at her graduation from Warwick University.
I know how proud and blessed she is to have
him walk beside her.

Manuela (from Italy) writes, " This is my Granpa. He is always happy, very creative, fixes everything, and even though he couldn't finish school because of WWII, he is super curious and reads anything, from physics, to history, to philosophy. That has taken him to learning many many more things than I know, even if I have three university degrees!!"

Kuntal (from India) sent this great selfie, along with her chosen piece of music which she is actually singing:  Shayad - Love Aaj Kal




And finally, a wee word from me ... these are the faces of two people who have been 'home alone' for three months.😢  We've both found it hard, so it was big smiles all round when I drove to be with my dad on Friday, June 19th 💖  It's great to actually be here to say thank you for all the ways my dad has supported me over the years.  He couldn't decide on a favourite piece of music and in reality my musical tastes are sooooooo broad, I can't decide either. BUT, I recently came across this track from the classic film 'The Blue Brothers' starring John Belushi and Dan Ackroyd. It put such a big smile on my face, I watched it twice; and I think dad will approve.     Blues Brothers

No comments:

Post a Comment