Sunday 4 August 2019

On a personal note ...

I see my role as Medway Campus Chaplain as one who is called to 'come alongside' students and staff for a season. To walk with them on part of their journey, through both highs and lows. My hope is that along the way I am able to speak words of life, words of encouragement, words of truth. That those I meet will come to see that they are created in the image of God and truly loved. 

But to do all that I also need to care for myself. This is why I have regular 'well-being' days throughout the year and also why I take an annual retreat.  My faith, as a Christian, is central to who I am and, hopefully, influences and shapes my character, my words and my behaviour towards others.  

This past week I have had a wonderful break in a 14th century cottage in the stunning countryside of East Sussex.  Time to pray, time to read, time to re-energise, time to plan and prepare for the coming academic year.

As we give of ourselves in the service of God and in service to others, it is important, no, not important - vital - that we are daily being filled with the presence of God. That we feed on his Holy Word and soak ourselves in his presence, in order that we truly come to know and trust in his character and his promises.

I love my role, I love what God has called me to, but without the presence and the power of God it would all be empty and useless.

No comments:

Post a Comment