Saturday 16 July 2022

On a personal note ...

Around this time each year I take a spiritual retreat somewhere. The purpose of this is threefold.  First, simply the opportunity to rest and re-energise at the end of each academic year.  Secondly, a chance to look back over the year and ask myself, what has worked well and what hasn't, what have I learned from this year.  Third, and lastly, the chance to do some prayerful planning for the year ahead.

This year I had the privilege of spending time at Penhurst Retreat Centre, near Battle, East Sussex.


This was the view from my window 😀  My room had some olde-worlde character, but was complimented by a modern en suite bathroom.

Each morning and afternoon there were prayers in the chapel which I took advantage of, and found very beneficial.  I loved the simplicity and the decor of the chapel.


The very first thing that struck me when I arrived, after the very warm welcome I received, was the beauty and tranquillity of the place.  The grounds were kind of simple, yet lovely. So many places you could sit and read, pray or simply be quiet.  I spent most of my mornings reading through the Psalms, and my afternoons reading 'Making Sense of the Cross' by Alister McGrath.  I journaled and drew and prayed and rested.

I was so well looked after and the food was simply marvellous, thoroughly enjoyed everything I had.  The house was book-ended on one side by a working farm, and I woke up to the sound of sheep bleating each morning, then on the other side a small church which was open to visit.
 

I walked the Penhurst triangle and enjoyed Rosalind's Wood. It's hard to make out the writing on this stone but it says: 
Hours fly, Flowers die, New ways, New days, Pass by Love stays, Remembrance is the last gift of love.
If you are looking for a Christian retreat centre, I cannot recommend this place highly enough.  I hope to return there 😀

No comments:

Post a Comment