Friday 22 April 2016

English Night

Yesterday was Queen Elizabeth II's 
90th birthday.

On occasion I plan events for TABLEtalk but I'm unsure how well they will be received. Such was the case last night for our English Night. We talked a little about heraldry and the meaning of various symbols commonly used on Coats of Arms; then I challenged students to design their own Coat of Arms showing things important to them, whether it was culture or faith related or character traits, etc.
As is often the case I was blown away by both their willingness to engage in the topic and also their creativity.

Many people's designs featured themes of family, friendship and peace. Culture and faith also played a part especially for our Christian and Muslim students.  I really enjoyed listening to each person as they talked about why they had used particular symbols and colours.


No comments:

Post a Comment