Thursday 7 November 2019

Every Day Faith

A few months back I was interviewed by Rev Chris Stone of Rochester Diocese about the work that I do here on campus.  Here is the article that will go to print very soon ...


#EverydayFaith

Emerging over the past twenty years or so from what was part of the former Chatham Dockyard, the Medway Campus is now home to ten thousand students from three universities – University of Greenwich, Christ Church Canterbury and the University of Kent.  Add to that the teaching and support staff, and it’s a sizeable community, a thriving centre of learning.

At its heart is the Pilkington Building, with places to meet and chat and eat, and the chaplaincy service can be found there too.  Now entering her third year as chaplain is Lynne Martin, and it’s a role which she relishes despite all the pressures it brings. 

“Reaching out to students is at the heart of what I do, without duplicating what others offer.  I can offer another layer of well-being for students, and my heart is in prevention, looking out for signs of loneliness, anxiety, depression … the signs of someone struggling in whatever way.  I want to let them know that we can help them avoid a crisis’.

Many of the students I meet are from other countries, and from different faiths or none.  To me, this doesn’t matter as all of them are made in the image of God, and as Christians we’re called to welcome the stranger and come alongside others. My own experience includes some time overseas and having that kind of welcome was so important.

With some help from local churches, some of the other activities I organise include, the World Café each Wednesday where for two hours students can make friends and relax.  There’s also TABLEtalk, which is a guided discussion evening, particularly helpful to international students wanting to develop their English language and cross-cultural skills.

Ever popular is the Bargain Corner, where second-hand items – warm clothing, bedding and kitchen utensils - are for sale.  In fact, Bargain Corner has proved such a success that some students themselves donate goods as they prepare to leave after graduation.

I organise special services for times such as Remembrance Day and in the run up to Christmas but there is no regular Sunday time of worship on campus.  I want to see students engaging with their local communities and attending local churches.

I’m often asked about my relationship with people of other faiths. Well, they know I am a Christian, but I respect where people come from.  I don’t have to agree with people to offer a welcome and a respectful listening ear.

The greatest joy I have is if I can come alongside a student when they need someone there, then I’ve done something positive.

No comments:

Post a Comment