Tuesday 12 November 2019

Firemen's Memorial

On the 8th of November, 1974 (prior to this site being a university campus) there was a fire in Anson building. Sadly two firefighters, Bob Bell and Dave Holly, lost their lives following an explosion.

          We were contacted several weeks back by former fireman, John Luckhurst, who asked for permission to hold a small memorial service on site to honour Bob and Dave.  As many of us hold dear the history and heritage of this site, the answer was a resounding YES.

Despite waking up feeling rather unwell, it was my privilege to welcome former colleagues, friends, and representatives of our local Chatham Fire Station and to preside over the service.  A special thanks also goes to Sharon who did so much of the background work :-)

Fireman's Prayer
When I am called to duty,
God wherever flames may rage,
give me strength to save a life,
whatever be its age.

Help me to embrace a little child
before it is too late,
or save an older person
from the horror of that fate.

Enable me to be alert,
to hear the weakest shout,
and quickly and efficiently
to put the fire out.

I want to fill my calling
and to give the best in me,
to guard my every neighbor
and protect their property.

And if, according to your will,
I have to lose my life,
please bless with your protecting hand
the special people in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment