Friday 10 April 2020

Stress Awareness Month: The Power of a HUG


Those who know me well, know that I am one who likes to HUG.  Don't worry - I would never invade someone's personal space if that's not their thing, but I am by nature a HUGGER. So, personally, I long for the days when this is all over, and social distancing is a thing of the past.

I've been looking at some articles on the benefits of hugging and physical touch  -  now, I just know a few people out there are going to tell me not all touch is healthy, I'm fully aware of that, but let's try to remain positive.

Amongst other things, a loving hug ...
* helps to nurture feelings of trust and connectedness.
* reduces cortisol (the stress hormone) and increases oxytocin, which can help reduce blood pressure.
* is known to improve the function of your immune system.
* can communicate multiple positive emotions: joy, love, gratitude, and sympathy.
* can be used to communicate empathy, resulting in an analgesic, painkilling effect.
* can reduce feelings of loneliness and isolation.
& can reduce the symptoms of anxiety and depression.

Touch is the first sense we acquire

and the secret weapon in many

a successful relationship.


Mother Teresa said ...

No comments:

Post a Comment