Sunday 5 April 2020

What is Palm Sunday?

TODAY is Palm Sunday - a very significant day in the life of all Christians around the world. But what is it all about?


"HOSANNA!              Blessed is he           who comes in         the name of       the Lord."


Palm Sunday, sometimes known as Passion Sunday, marks the beginning of the final week of Jesus' life. It marks his entry in to Jerusalem.  On this day, we would normally meet as Christian believers, to celebrate and to look towards Easter, which marks Jesus' death and resurrection.  Yet, like everyone, we are currently called to stay home and stay safe.  

It would be so easy for this day to pass us by like any other day, yet we must not forget.  So, I've been listening to messages on line - including my nephew, James, who is the minister of Pershore Baptist Church - and I have made my own cross and palm branches to mark this day and to display outside my home.

This coming week, known to us as Holy Week, is filled with Jesus' teaching, the event we call 'the Last Supper',  his arrest, trial, and crucifixion. And ultimately, his resurrection.  The resistance, rejection, unbelief and hostility Jesus endured that week was not a surprise to him.  It was infact the fulfilment of all that had been spoken through the prophets; it was the fulfilment of God's plan.

For me, I will take extra time this week to read God's Word, to pray for myself and for others. I will take more time to ask God to search my heart and to give me a heart like his - one of self-sacrificing love and obedience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETEpxb1OWQ0

No comments:

Post a Comment