Tuesday 30 April 2019

Where are they now? Attia

Attia, best known at Medway as “Tia, the son of the Pharaoh”. That was my name for the time I spent at Greenwich studying for a Master of Science in Pharmaceutical Biotechnology as an Egyptian student. Any international students would usually face a lot of major problems and difficulties while studying abroad. They usually face language and communication barriers, loneliness, stress and indecisiveness. However, that was not my case, being alone in a new place made me conquer and overcome many life difficulties that I wouldn’t have been able to handle if I weren’t put in such a situation. 

My experience in the UK provided me with the required characteristics and professional qualifications that are recognised and respected worldwide. It fully prepared and equipped me to face the real and practical issues of life. Not to mention that it contributed in optimising and enhancing my career prospect. It also entrusted me the qualifications needed for paving my career path. It exposed me to new research, technology, cultures, backgrounds and intellectual challenges and helped me develop my sense of achievement and independent thought.


Communication skills were one of the most important skills I gained this year, because having to communicate in another language increased my confidence levels and improved my communication skills. Working on my project taught me that there is no shame asking for assistance and that there is no such thing as a single-handed success. I gave total trust to my team members and work partners, as well as my helpful supervisors in Greenwich who helped me stand up on my feet and deliver my project professionally. 


My stay in the UK wasn’t just about studying all the time. I got actively involved in many extracurricular activities; such as photography, sports, and TABLEtalk where I went on trips, took pictures, attended meetings and gatherings, participated in competitions - and actually won! I met the most amazing people, and learned about different cultures. 



I believe that my life has dramatically developed throughout the time I spent in the UK; I learned how to adapt, solve problems and manage tasks. I also gained experience in working in labs and in the field. I became able to work as a part of a team, to develop and present ideas. I learnt about the art, culture and history of the country. All these circumstances made me have a better understanding and appreciation for people of different race, culture, religion, background and history. I thankfully got the opportunity to witness a completely new way of life. 

Now I work as a university assistant lecturer and currently I am perusing a PhD to achieve my ultimate goal of being a professor. I will achieve this by working harder and developing my weak points, improving my strengths and skills, seizing the available opportunities in order to follow my dreams. 


I cannot forget the great friends, and the sweet memories, as well as the lifetime adventures I had during my stay. Thank you, Lynne, for your continuous support, love, and care you always gave us. It wouldn’t have been the same without you.

No comments:

Post a Comment